Steve's beer blog

Friday, September 29, 2006

kickin back tonight with a six pack of red hook ESB.
All week I have been thinking of hops. I have been dinking a good bit of guiness lately and although I stand beside my claim that it is the worlds best beer, I must admit that there is another side of my love of beer that is not satisfiyed. Sometimes I need hops and with fall setting in the hops side becomes hungary. Most people think of guiness as a beer suited to the fall and the winter and pale ales as suited to the summer and the spring, but then again most people are hopelessly retarded. No matter how often you tell them that guiness is in fact a light beer and great in the summer, they will not listen. The reason is simple they see black and imediately draw a conclusion that it is just like the micro drewed super stout they drank a year or so ago that was filling and chocolatley and coffeeish. I digress.
Anyways, to fill my needfor hops I whent and purchased some old favorets and another I've drank only once or twice. Of the old favorets I am enjoying one right now, red hook's ESB, which I always thought stood for extra speical bitter, but on this box it said extra special beer ??? It's a great beer from a great brewery started near Seatlle in the year I was born 1982. The hops is not out of control but solid. It's the kinda beer you would take home to meet mom, maybe not your most interesting afair, but It would never steal your car and drive to vegas. It tastes like America should taste, like Europe, but stronger, and not smelly.
Last night I drank a bottle of rogue brewery's Brutal Bitter. I bought it in one of the thirty-twos they use for all their beers besides dead guy. It was a great beer, but it cost over four dollars. The botles look great, but I'm not buying art. I was buying Bitter. The Bitter to dollar ratio was a little off if you catch my drift.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bridger said...

Glad to see you're still drinking, buddy

I can't really remember anything remarkable about Red Hook ESB, but I thought it was pretty good.

Did you know Budwieser owns a majority stake in Red Hook. I heard about this a while ago, but the other day something happened that really drove the point home. I saw the Red Hook distribution truck driving up Burnside from my apartment and the top of the truck had BUDWIESER printed in big letters.

I buy crap from big corporations all the time, and it sucks. but when it's beer I feel even worse about buying corporate products. If some one bought me a redhook, or a guiness, I'd undoubtably drink it, but only to numb the pain i feel for our crumbling democracy.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Stonch said...

Hi. I'm afraid I can't even begin to tell you how much I disagree with the assertion that standard Guinness is the best beer in the world - it isn't the worst, I suppose! Have you tried Guinness Foreign Extra? I've just reviewed it on Stonch's Beer Blog - visit by clicking my name to get to my profile, then clicking the name of the blog to get to the site itself. Cheers!

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home